Thursday, October 24, 2013

Bats, Mummies, and Spiders.. OH MY! Halloween Cupcakes!!


When we were kids there was a Halloween ding-dong ditch game that went on... basically you pick someone you like, create a treat, take it to their house at night, put it on their porch and then ring the bell and run as fast as you can to get away unseen! Now that we're in our 20s and trick-or-treating is really not an option and Halloween parties really aren't our thing we've decided to enjoy Halloween a different way! By scaring all the kids when they come trick-or-treating! Oh, and by bringing back "Boo-ing" people!! We picked 4 people, 2 of our new neighbors with kids and our Bishop and one of our visiting teachers. This gave me a perfect excuse to create fun Halloween cupcakes! 


I like creating toppers for cupcakes that are edible, non-edibles can be cute-- but the fact remains, you can't eat them! So I set out to make edible toppers, I melted some chocolate, put in a piping bag with a #3 Wilton tip and got to work! I added candy pearls I had on hand for their eyes and then popped them in the freezer to harden. 




 Please don't laugh at my spiders.. they're cute, right?!? Ok maybe they're just funny looking.. but luckily it's Halloween and they'll due. Unfortunately their little legs are very fragile and I accidentally broke a few off when adding them to the cupcakes. I made these the same way as the bats I just used candy eyes instead of candy pearls for eyes. 


My favorite, if I had to choose, would be the spider webs! On top of the black icing they looked so good and they're made from white chocolate which is my favorite! They're also very fragile but luckily I realized and didn't break any of them! 



I started the mummies by adding black behind their eyes and then white to make their wrapping. They're actually very easy and look great. 



To make things simple I used only 3 frostings-- and only 2 flavors. Orange and white is standard vanilla buttercream and in order to ensure the black frosting was actually black I made a chocolate buttercream and then added some black Americolor gel.







- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Ingredients

1 bag of white or milk chocolate chips

Directions
  1. Pour chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl.
  2. Cook in 30 second intervals, stirring after each 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
  3. Let cool briefly and then pour into decorating bag fitted with a coupler so that you can change the tips based on the size you need. 
  4. Pipe design onto parchment paper, put parchment paper into freezer and let them set.
  5. Pipe frosting onto cupcake and then add frozen design. 





No comments:

Post a Comment