Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Grandma's Chocolate Walnut Fudge


This is my grandma's recipe and like all of her cooking and baking, it's delicious. 



First you heat the marshmallows, butter, canned milk, and butter until boiling.




Once it's done remove it from the stove.


Mix in the nuts and chocolate chips and then beat it until thick.




Pour it into a well buttered squared pan.


Let it cool and harden.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Grandma’s Fudge

Ingredients:

¾ cup canned milk
16 large marshmallows
2 cups sugar
¾ cube of butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts
16 oz. chocolate chips

Directions:
1.     Cook milk, marshmallows, sugar and butter over medium heat; stirring constantly.
2.     Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook exactly 5 minutes.
3.     Remove from stove, stir in vanilla, chocolate chips, and nuts.
4.     Beat until it starts to thicken.
5.     Pour into buttered square dish and cool.
6.     Cut into squares.


24 comments:

  1. OMG... I can't thank you enough for posting this recipe. I found it in 1974 but lost my copy about 30 years ago. I remembered the ingredients, but not the measurements. This is the ABSOLUTE best fudge EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add in some peanut butter, about 1/3 cup. Tastes even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Haven't tried that before but will have to some time!

      Delete
  3. Can you tell me what 3/4 cube of butter is - I am an American living over here in Germany so I need to know the amount in a cup. I can't tell from the photo. I would really appreciate your help - I finally found marshmallows on the German market so I can make it when my son comes over for Christmas. Thank you - danephoto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know too - perhaps it should have been 3/4 cup??

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to make this! Did you use evaporated or condensed milk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice recipe but I, too, am wondering how much a cube of butter is, cup-wise. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evaporated or sweetened condensed milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also do you mean 3/4 stick of butter?

      Delete
    2. Hi, evaporated milk and 6 tablespoons of butter.

      Delete
    3. How many cups of miniature marshmallows would I use in place of the 16 large ones?

      Delete
    4. Approximately 10 mini marshmallows equal one large or regular sized marshmallow. Similarly, one cup of mini marshmallows is equal to 10 large ones.

      Delete
  7. This recipe is the one I ave been looking for! It turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering if you could use sweetened condensed milk instead of the evaporated milk and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't try it. You're likely to be disappointed in the results, because you have no way to determine just how much evaporated milk and sugar are in a can of sweetened condensed milk. They're highly unlikely to be the same proportions as in the recipe.

      Delete
  9. Just curious, most formulas are written as multiples of WHOLE 12 OZ BAGS of chocolate chips. Is this correct as written, at 16 oz? which would be a bag and a third?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How Many Tablespoons in a Stick of Butter? | ThriftyFun



    Best Answer. There are 8 tablespoons in a stick of butter. Divide that by 4. 1/4th = 1/4 stick of butter; 2/4ths = 1/2; 3/4ths = 3/4ths, 4/4ths equal one stick/8 TBS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren’t you glad you shared this recipe? I understand the entire recipe and bet it tastes wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this fudge my whole life, my aunt Carm always made it around the holidays. She gave it to me around 1980's and have been making it ever since. she told me that it was see's fudge recipe. I don't know if this is true but it sure tastes just as good. Everyone should try this if they truly love fudge.

    ReplyDelete