Thursday, August 1, 2013

Purple Ombre Birthday Cake


Last Sunday my favorite little girl turned 10 and we didn't get to celebrate with her since we live about 90 miles away. She came tonight to spend the weekend and so I decided to make her a cake and decorate to celebrate the big one-oh!! Double digits is a big deal! I love making cupcakes, it's kinda my thing- but I wanted to do something special to celebrate so I decided to make a cake! And what's better than an ombre cake?!?!? 

I used my favorite go-to vanilla cupcake recipe and just doubled it to ensure I'd have enough cake! I also used my favorite, super easy vanilla buttercream and not only is it delicious, but it is so pretty!! It even earned me a free hug and kiss-- and I usually have to hold her down and tickle her for those! 



I made one large batch of vanilla cake and then divided it as evenly as possible 5 ways. I left one white and did the other 4 in varying shades of purple to create the ombre effect. I only have 2 9-inch rounds so it was quite time consuming, but other than that, it was very easy. 


I started by building the cake by stacking the layers with thin layers of buttercream in between each layer. I then did a think crumb coat to ensure I would have a smooth surface to work with. After I crumb coated it I put it in the fridge for a couple hours while I did something else, even though 30 minutes would probably be enough time. 




After I made the buttercream I started by adding a little purple and then piping on the light layers, and then I added a little more, piped it on, and then more and did the final darker layers. It would probably be smarter to work at the bottom and go up, but I really didn't want to have to divide the icing into separate bowels to color it. 


After it was done I again chilled it to let the frosting set and pulled it out just before she got here to add her personalized candles! I can't believe my little baby niece is 10!!! Makes me want to cry! 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vanilla Cake and Buttercream

Ingredients

Cupcakes:
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
4 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour- sifted
3½ tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
cup heavy cream 

Buttercream:
1 cup butter
4-5 cups powdered sugar- sifted
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp. heavy cream

Directions

Cupcakes:
1.    Preheat oven to 350ยบ, line and grease 9-inch round pan(s).
2.    In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3.    Add eggs one at a time, being sure to mix well after each addition.
4.    In a separate bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
5.    With mixer on low slowly add flour mixture to butter, mix well.
6.    Add milk and heavy cream and beat on medium until well incorporated.
7.    Split batter evenly between 4 bowls and the amount left in stand mixer.
8.    Using food coloring, tint cake batter to colors of your choice.
9.    Using a frosting spatula evenly spread each color into a separate 9-inch round pan.
10. Depending on thickness of layers, bake for about 13-15 minutes.

Buttercream:
1.    In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until smooth.
2.    With mixer on low, add powdered sugar, once incorporated beat on medium.
3.    Beat in vanilla extract.
4.    Beat in heavy cream using only amount necessary to reach the desired consistency.
5.    Using food coloring, tint frosting to desired colors.






Thanks for coming, stay awhile, and return often! xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment