Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pineapple Cupcakes with Pineapple Whipped Cream


I love Hawaii. I love it. Everything about it. The people, the culture, the weather... and did I mention the beach?!? Amazing. All of it. One of the many things I love to do on Oahu is visit the Dole plantation. I love pineapple, especially fresh- Hawaiian fresh- pineapple! In my post vacation depression I am doing everything I can to hold on to the Aloha spirit. So here you have it... pineapple cupcakes with the most delicious pineapple whipped cream frosting! 


I had a box mix on hand and decided to use that as my starting point-- whenever I use a box mix I like to use butter instead of oil and milk or heavy creme instead of water. I find that it makes a fluffier moist cupcake. 

I started by using my emulsion blender to beat the eggs really good-- I didn't want any eggs showing through the white cupcake so I wanted to make sure they were beat really well. I then added the milk/heavy creme mixture and the melted butter to the eggs and gave it a quick stir before mixing it into the dry mix. 



I used canned crushed pineapple because I didn't have any of the fresh stuff available. I strained the juice from the pineapple and saved the juice for the whipped creme. 


I added about 1 cup of crushed pineapple and mixed it in at the end. You could add more or less depending on your preference. 





I used my ice cream scoop to fill the pans and then put them in the oven! 



I turned the oven down to 325º and baked them for about 22 minutes and they came out a delicious golden brown! They are so good! 


The whipped creme frosting was super easy! Heavy creme, sugar, and pineapple juice-- that's it! Just whip it still stiff peaks form, but not till it makes butter. I've done that before. Turned on the mixer and got busy cleaning up and doing something else and before I realized, I had homemade butter. It was good, but not exactly what I was going for. Now, I watch it whip very closely! This whipped creme frosting is probably one of the best frostings I've ever made. It is light, creamy and has a strong pineapple flavor. Reminds me of Dole Whip! Yumm! 




- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 Pineapple Cupcakes with Pineapple Whipped Cream

Ingredients

Cupcakes:
1 box of cake mix
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
1 cup pineapple chunks, drained

Frosting:
1 cup heavy creme
2 tbsp. white sugar
10 tbsp. pineapple juice

Directions

Cupcakes:

  1. Beat eggs until smooth and no more yolk shows
  2. Mix eggs, milk, and cooled butter. Stir.
  3. Add to dry mix in the bowl of your stand mixer.
  4. Mix on medium for 2 minutes.
  5. Stir in pineapple chunks.
  6. Divide between cupcake pans.
  7. Put in oven and immediately turn down to 325º.
  8. Bake 20-25 minutes.


Frosting:

  1. Chill bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for 30 minutes, or at least 15 if you don't have 30 minutes.
  2. Add sugar, whipped creme, and pineapple juice to the bowl of your stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment.
  3. Whip until stiff peaks are formed. 
  4. Icing cupcakes and top with leftover pineapple chunks. 






Thanks for coming, stay awhile, and return often! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment