Friday, November 15, 2013

Cream Filled Chocolate Cake


My bff/roommate/sister's real sister came to visit last weekend from Washington and she happened to be here during her 21st birthday so I had to make sure she had a delicious cake to celebrate with! I did a little research… (asking her best friend).. and discovered she likes chocolate cake and decided that's what I would make! What's better with chocolate cake then cream filling?? Right, nothing! 


I made one batch of my cake recipe and then divided it evenly between 4 cake pans, well, actually I had to bake it in 2 batches because I only have 2 pans. 

Side note: I'm not exactly sure why, but, for some reason I have no pictures of the cakes out of the oven. Weird, I know. So, just pretend you see them! :)



While the cakes were cooling I started on the cream filling. 



Add water and gelatin to a small sauce pan and then heat it up while stirring until it's dissolved. I then poured it into a chilled bowl to speed up the cooling process. 

While that is cooling, beat heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Next, beat in the vanilla. Once the gelatin is cooled but not thick pour it down the side of the bowl mixing it in slowly.



Start with the first layer, used a bread knife to level it out, next use a slanted spatula to add the cream filling.


Repeat for each layer and top with the last layer.



Put the stacked cake in the fridge to set and make the buttercream. Once the buttercream is made it is time for the crumb coat.



Using a slanted spatula give the cake a very thin crumb coat.



Once the crumb coat is finished put the cake back in the fridge to set.



Next, frost cake with remaining buttercream and decorate as desired.





Cover top with sprinkles if desired.













- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cream Filled Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

Chocolate Cake; use cake pans instead of cupcake pans
Buttercream frosting

Filling:
2 tsp. unflavored gelatin 

3 tbsp. cold water
2 cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions

Filling:
  1. In a small sauce pan pour gelatin over cold water, heat on medium, stirring constantly until dissolved.
  2. Whip whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form, add vanilla and continue to beat.
  3. Once gelatin is cooled slowly pour it down the side of the bowl while mixing.
Cake Assembly:
  1. Bake and cool cake. Make filling. Assemble cake by placing about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of filling between each layer. Repeat for each layer. 
  2. Top with last layer. Refrigerate.
  3. Give cake a crumb coat. Refrigerate.
  4. Icing and decorate how desired.


Try it out, let me know what you think! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment