Now that the weather is getting colder.. well California colder, which is not really that cold… more like cool, it is the perfect time for soup! And since I had potatoes, broccoli, and cheese that were unused in my house I decided to add them all together to make this delicious soup!
First chop up the carrots, potatoes, and broccoli.
Then melt a tablespoon or two of butter in a large pan or dutch oven.
Add the carrots and some chopped garlic and cook until the carrots are soft but not too soft. Next, add about 6 more tablespoons of butter and melt.
Once the butter is melted add the flour and stir constantly while it cooks for 2-3 minutes.
Next, pour in the HOT chicken broth and heavy cream.
Stir occasionally while it simmers for 6-8 minutes.
Put the chopped up potatoes in the crockpot.
Pour the pan mixture over the potatoes and stir.
Add the chopped up broccoli and stir again.
Next add more chicken broth to bring the liquid up to the broccoli line.
Stir and let it cook for 2-3 hours on high.
Now at this point either use an immersion blender to puree it or, if you want to leave it chunky like I did, just add the cheese and stir it in while it melts. If you want to puree it, do that first and then add the cheese.
Crockpot Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
3 Russet Potatoes, cubed
3 medium heads of broccoli, chopped
1 carrot, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
½ cup of butter, divided
½ cup whole-wheat flour
3 cups chicken broth, plus some if needed
1 ½ cups whole milk (I used a mixture of whole milk and heavy cream because I didn’t have a full 1 ½ cups of whole milk)
2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Wash and peel potatoes and carrot; wash broccoli
2. Cube potatoes and put in the crock pot
3. Dice up carrot and set aside; chop up broccoli and garlic cloves and set aside.
4. Add 1 tbsp. butter to a large saucepan or Dutch oven; once it has melted add carrots and garlic. Cook until carrots are soft but not too soft.
5. Add the remaining butter and melt, add flour and stir. Continue stirring while it cooks for about 2 minutes until you have a blonde roux.
6. Add hot chicken broth and milk, stirring occasionally. Let it cook and thicken for 6-10 minutes.
7. Pour over potatoes into crock-pot. Add chopped broccoli and stir.
8. Add enough chicken broth so that all vegetables are covered in crockpot. Stir to combine.
9. Put lid on and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
10. Add cheese and stir while it melts, let it cook for another 20 minutes.
11. Serve warm, garnish with shredded cheese and crushed croutons.