Monday, September 23, 2013

Whole-Wheat Sugar Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting



They're definitely not the prettiest... BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, they are whole wheat and sugar free!! Ever since we started our adventure of cutting out processed and refined foods I haven't been baking as much as I'd like to and so I knew I had to find someway to mix the two! Now if you're anything like my mom you are probably thinking "EW! That is not even a cupcake then!"... or at least that's what she said. However, once she ate one, she ate another... and she reluctantly admitted that they were good and if she didn't know she would have no idea they were whole-wheat and sugar free. Win! I took one of my favorite traditional vanilla cupcakes and played around with it and got a delicious whole-wheat, sugar free cupcake! 


 I started with the butter, honey, and maple syrup and decided to "cream" it the way I normally would with butter and sugar. I turned my mixer on medium/low and let it go. I decided it was creamed together enough once it had become an creamy mixture like the picture on the right.





I then whisked together the flour and baking powder.


Once the butter mixture was where I wanted it, I added the four eggs one at a time. After that I slowly added the flour and then added the milk, heavy cream, and vanilla mixture and mixed away! 


I used my ice cream scoop to measure out my batter and then got them in the oven!


I was thrilled when they came out looking like cupcakes! So of course we hurried and test tasted one pre-frosting and yum! So good! 


Since the cupcakes were a success, I whipped up some sugar free whipped cream and voila! 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Whole-Wheat Sugar Free Vanilla Cupcakes

Ingredients

Cupcakes:
1-cup clover honey
¼ 100% Grade A Maple Syrup
1-cup butter
4 eggs
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
3 cups white whole-wheat flour- sifted
3½ tsp. baking powder
¾ cup milk
¼ cup heavy cream 

Whip Cream Frosting
1-cup heavy cream
½-1 tbsp. 100% Grade A Maple Syrup
1 tbsp. vanilla extract

Directions

Cupcakes:
1.    Preheat oven to 350º, line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2.    In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, honey, and maple syrup until thick and creamy.
3.    Add eggs one at a time, being sure to mix well after each addition.
4.    In a separate bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
5.    With mixer on low slowly add flour mixture to butter, mix well.
6.    Mix milk, heavy cream, and vanilla. Add to flour and butter mixture, mixing well.
7.    Divide evenly between cupcake pans, about 2/3 full.
8.    Place in oven and immediately turn oven down to 325º. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Buttercream:
1.    Place bowl of your stand mixer in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
2.    After your bowl is nice and cold add heavy cream, maple syrup, and vanilla.
3.     Beat on high until stiff peaks form. 


Try them out and let me know what you think! 
Thanks for coming, stay awhile, and return often! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love the macadamia nut cupcakes, yummmmmy and so did everyone I work with

    ReplyDelete
  2. healthier hair is of course mainly due to genetics but food supplementation can also help you get it** Nang sydney

    ReplyDelete