Once the cookie dough was frozen I started working on the cupcakes. We went to WinCo the other day, they just opened one about 20 miles from us, to check it out and reminisce our college days! Nothing beat 10 boxes of Hot Pockets for $10 when we were poor college students! Thats 20 meals at $.50 a meal! Anyways, when we were there cake mixes were on sale so I grabbed a few. Starting with a cake mix definitely makes the process much easier and good results can still be had!
After I divided the batter between the cups it was time to pull the cookie dough out of the freezer and add it to the batter. I pushed the cookies into the batter to ensure the batter would bake up and around them.
When I pulled the cupcakes out of the oven I was pleasantly surprised to find majority of them cooked perfectly and only 1 or 2 over flowing the cup! The cookie dough did poke through on most of the cupcakes but since you can't have a cupcake without frosting, it didn't really matter!
The frosting was very easy to make also! Along with the cake mixes, frosting was also on sale! I started with a can of buttercream as my base and added brown sugar to make that chocolate chip cookie flavor! Adding powdered sugar and heavy cream allows for you to be able to control the consistency of the frosting. This is probably the best piping frosting I've made yet! It is so thick and creamy, holds its shape, and doesn't need to be kept in the fridge to prevent melting!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Yield: About 30
1 box vanilla cake mix
3-4 tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
½ melted butter- cooled
1 tsp. vanilla
30 breakable chocolate chip cookie dough, separated and frozen (about 2 hours in the freezer)
1 can store bought buttercream
4-5 tbsp. brown sugar
4-6 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tbsp. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350º, line cupcake pan with paper liners
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix on low the cake mix and brown sugar
- Melt butter and set aside to cool
- Stir vanilla into milk
- Add milk and butter to dry ingredients and mix on medium
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition
- Mix on medium about 60-90 seconds until well mixed
- Divide batter between cupcake pans, filling about ½ full
- Push frozen cookie dough into each cupcake
- Place cupcake pans in oven and immediately turn oven down to 325º
- Bake for 20-23 minutes